Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

We all celebrate New Year's in one way another...some getting blacked out by as much alcohol as they can consume, others lighting fireworks in their cul-de-sac with their buddies, one or two times trying to find the right person to plant one on when the ball drops, or a few where you stayed home & lit sparklers with the kids while dancing in the New Year. If you hadn't guessed...I have participated in all of these New Year traditions. Of course they have been spread throughout the years. But all the while there was THAT song playing in the background!! You know...that "old acquaintance" song that most of us only know a couple of words to. I'm talking about Auld Lang Syne people and it's about time we all get a lesson on what they are actually saying and what the heck it means. If you are a smarty pants and already know the meaning and all the words...Stop Reading I guess. I don't need a critic LOL!

OK so here it goes:




Now without translating every dang word...I am going to give you the gist!!!

The song title translates from old Scottish dialect meaning 'Old Long Ago' and is about love and friendship in times past. The lyrics convey memories of relationships and how some of those may have wandered over time. It also means to me that even with distance there can be amity...for the sake of 'Old Long Ago'.

What a great lesson for us - human creatures walking around trying to co-exist with other people as they enter in and out of our lives. Especially as a Military Family Member, this can come in handy when we have to let some of the people in our lives go, respectfully. Ok some of them I just wanted to go away. :o)

I hope everyone has a Fabulous 2009...I know we will!! Catch you next year :o)

0 comments: