Friday, February 19, 2010

Foodie Friday

I recently stated on my Facebook page that Burger King was in the market of selling Funnel Cake Sticks now. This is not only WRONG on so many levels, but it is dangerous to my well-being. I love a funnel cake from the "once a year fair/carnival" like the next girl...but to have it taunt me everytime I drive to the BX is just plain rude. I had a few comments about how oily and evil they were...so I decided to make myself feel better about the 9 piece I had the other day and find something that could top it.

Enter today's Foodie Friday:

If you thought funnel cakes were bad for you...get a load of this!!

Deep Fried Coca-Cola

I am not kidding!

A guy named Abel Gonzales Jr. came up with this concoction for the State Fair of Texas this past year. No $hit!! First, he deep-fries Coca-Cola-flavored batter. He then drizzles Coke fountain syrup on it. The fried Coke is topped with whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry.

I don't know what I'd do without that cherry.

So if you're feeling froggy....DO IT!! (please with a cherry on top, of course)

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups Coca Cola
Oil for deep frying

Topping:
1 cup Coca Cola syrup
whipped cream
maraschino cherries

Instructions:

1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
2. Mix in eggs and Coca Cola and stir until a smooth batter forms.
3. Preheat oil in a skillet or deep fryer.
4. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into a funnel or turkey baster and in a circular motion pour batter into the hot oil.
5. Fry up for about a minute on each side and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve while still warm and top with Coca Cola syrup, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.

I love me some Coke and even some fried batter on a few things...but I must draw the line somewhere.

If anyone tries this...I desperately need a review.

"How do you like me now?"...said the funnel cake stick.







courtesy of http://www.recipesroom.com

1 comments:

Rhea said...

Where on earth am I suppose to find Coca Cola Syrup? I'm just sayin...