Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Carving 101


I bought two pumpkins last week so that the kids could get their "carve" on. I love when the Fall Holidays come around. I had bought this drill attachment/pumpkin-gut-scraper-thingy last year AFTER Halloween and never had a chance to use it, so I was excited to see how it worked. Of course it was cold outside so we had to throw on all necessary glove and hat attire...which is not ideal when scooping out slimy punkin' guts.

Anyway, you should always get yourself a nice size pumpkin with at least one side looking fabulous. Then you need to choose a pattern....Teage was in charge of choosing this first design. He knew right away he wanted a spooky bat ("but not a 'cary bat Mom", he reminded me). And I have no idea why JD is on the ground...just always tryin' to be "laid out" somewhere.



You know, I was a little disappointed because the big kids had too be hit over the head practically to come outside and join the festivities. What is with that?? Finally, at one point I said "why are we doing this?"...and once again Teage chimed in..."I'm gonna make the punkin!" Yes you are lil man!


After the top came off, I had each of them take part and cleaning out the seeds.


Once JD plunged his arm down in there, he had a major meltdown.


"This is GROOOOOSS!!! ...and my hand is freezing!!" He never was one for handling really different textures. I told him to smile and this is what I got LOL...the look on his face is priceless.


The funny thing is, we do this every year...you'd think it wouldn't be gross anymore. Saige handled it like she was a pro, or maybe it was just that she had better things to do and wanted to get it over with....she scooped guts like nobody's business!!



This was George's job...cutting and drilling. Way to go Daddy!


I love roasted pumpkin seeds!


The finished product came out excellent...



but it kinda took forever. So we opted to carve the second one later this week...JD chose the Pirates of the Carribean skull and swords. SPOOOOOKY!!

I can't wait for Halloween now...

1 comments:

Angel said...

Now that is priceless!! Such a beautiful pumpkin. I want to do one here but I swear it's 35 degrees one day and 80 degrees the next. I especially loved the pic of the hubby bundled up in a beanie, gloves, sweats and socks with sandals? Must be a total "George" thing because mine does the same!! Miss you guys!