Friday, March 26, 2010

Holland + Softball

Been working my heiny off (well not exactly, my heiny is in fact still there...in full force) on getting the house to look like home for weeks now. SO OVERWHELMING to go through boxes and boxes of "stuff". With the exception of our photos...I just wanna trash it all and start over sometimes. But, since I married a full blown hoarder I guess we'll hold on to that early 90's first year promotion Caller ID box we got from Bellsouth (back when we actually "lived" in FL)...seriously?? NOT!! I finally got through to George, I think, and convinced him that these artifacts WILL NOT be worth money on Ebay someday. Right after I researched how much my old beanie babies would be worth today...hee hee. Purging these things has been extremely cleansing for me. I feel so much lighter and more organized than I already am. It IS taking a year and a day though...will it ever be over??

Moving forward...we spent our first weekend in our new home, away from our new home. Saige had her first competitive softball tournament held in the Netherlands and the whole Fam Bam was in tow to cheer her on.

(Note to self...while it was great being together, next time we are doing a one parent swap out. Teage had his fill of sissy playing ball about 3 hours into day one and all JD kept saying was "Is it over yet?")

Let me first start by saying that we were shacking up old country style. Our accommodations were in the middle of two dairy farms (which was pretty, but smelly) and so our rooms were like little farmer rooms. No sheets, no pillows, no towels, nada...you had to bring all that stuff with you. You were guaranteed only a bed for each person who paid. Something I didn't really understand until we arrived (there were communication breakdowns all leading up to this trip). I imagined it being quaint, but not bare. What did they have there you ask?? Self serve kegs and wine...go figure. Europeans are all about prioritizing.

Once we got settled and rested, we were off to the field...I mean gym! This was going to be an indoor softball tourney for our girls. Can you imagine playing softball in a gym?? There was no right field in existence. If the ball bounced off the ceiling and you caught it, it was an out..if it bounced off the wall it was foul, that kinda $hit. BIZARRE! But the girls were excited to play no matter what...

She was totally nervous, but confident she would kick butt (her words). She played left field two games and third base another game. She normally plays shortstop or second (like someone else we know). So it was new for her, but she did awesome. The girl has an arm I tell ya. Here are some shots of her playing from the weekend (as a spectator of an indoor softball game, you are separated from the gym by a curtain of nets, so forgive the blurry ones here and there).



The scenery was incredible there. We were all so surprised how much the homes there looked just like any old neighborhood in the US. It was refreshing to see that. No wonder so many people retire there...and I thought it was just because of the good coffee ;o)

George just wanted to find a McD's like he does in every country we visit

This is a running joke I have with him...every time we see a windmill he says "Look everyone, that windmill is so HUGE".

Eerily calming


It was good to get back home...and open more boxes, woo hoo. I think the kids felt the same way we did about going home...


Overall it was a great experience and I'm glad we could go and support her...little did we realize that four days later she would come home from school tryouts and tell us she made the Varsity Softball Team!! We are so proud of her...and will be making permanent appearances at all the upcoming games. I have a feeling my camera will transformed into a sports only camera before too long.



1 comments:

Rhea said...

Awww, great pics! I can't wait to go to all of Saige's games too. I'm glad ya'll had fun! xoxox